This module emphasizes the importance of good communication in end-of-life care. The complexities of communicating with patients and families at this critical time are described along with suggestions for care.
- Communication is critical in all health care situations but is of special significance at the end of life.
- Strong collaboration and communication between professionals is a prerequisite to communication with patients and families.
- Palliative care requires skill in verbal and non-verbal communication, listening and presence.
At the completion of this module, the participant will be able to:
- Define the importance of ongoing communication with the interdisciplinary team, patient and family throughout an end-of-life process.
- Identify three factors that influence communication in the palliative care setting.
- Describe important factors in communicating bad news.
- Identify communication characteristics that patient/families expect of health care professionals.