This module reviews dimensions of culture and spirituality, which influence care in advanced disease. Assessment of culture and spirituality is emphasized as essential to adequate communication and in providing culturally competent care.
- Culturally competent care includes recognition of multiple factors, i.e. ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and social class.
- Cultural factors significantly influence communication with patients and families at the end of life.
- Culturally competent care is best provided through an interdisciplinary approach.
- Discuss why self care is important for palliative care workers
- List 3 things you can do to help reduce your stress
- Explain how you would teach parents and nurses self care techniques.